Saturday, March 13, 2010

Racin' the Mustang!

I got to take the Mustang on a 5 lap jaunt around Nashville SuperSpeedway today! It was part of their Season Ticket promotion, and was a pretty cool experience. Nance rode with me, as the official videographer, and was a trooper.....didn't even flinch at the extreme top speed of 125 (kph).

Yeah...that converts to about 77 mph. They had a couple of "pace" trucks sandwiching us in, making sure we didn't go too fast. My original plan was to be the last car in line (I was successful at that) and to lag back a bit, then catch up at a much faster closing speed. But I believe my smooth plan of trickery had already occurred to them. Or, it could have been my driving gloves, racing helmet and flame proof suit that got them worried? At any rate, for some unknown reason, they placed a pace truck very close to my rear bumper. So my "lag back and then blow their doors off" plan was effectively thwarted.

But we had a blast. Sure, it was nothing like when Devon and I drove at Talladega SuperSpeedway....we drove cars that had served as actual Sprint Cup rides....and each topped out at 165mph...now THAT was the master blaster! :-) But today was what it was, a chance to take your street car on the banked oval, and pretend just a little bit. I took it high to the wall out of turn two, and then dived to the inside going into three.

I was actually a bit loose getting into the turns, and a tick tight coming out. If I had been given the time, I'd have come in for a quarter round on the right rear, and 4 fresh Goodyears. But the Hit Radio Promo Ford was strong all day, had lots of horsepower on the straightaways, and with a little bit of luck & a couple of truck drivers that looked the other way for a split second, we would have gotten the checker. As it was, we got a top 5 finish, didn't wrinkle any sheet metal, brought her home in one piece, and had a good solid day.

Now, I think I'll go grab a coke, fill up with Shell, get the oil changed with Pennzoil Ultima, and take my best girl out for dinner. She deserves it. She filmed the entire "race" from start to finish, and didn't reach for the "oh crap" handle once!

No comments:

Post a Comment