Well, today is 4 weeks with no Coke. I haven't had a caffeinated beverage since Wednesday, 4 weeks ago. (I'm going to pause here for a moment to allow those who know me well to catch their breath and pick themselves off the floor. Take your time. We will wait).
You see, I have long been known as a Coke-a-holic. When others crawled out of bed and longed for that first hot cup of coffee, I was popping the lid or twisting the top of a delicious refrigerated Coke. I don't do coffee or tea. Just never developed a taste for them. But boy, oh boy, could I put the Cokes away.
On a day when I was being really good, I'd only have 3 or 4. But most days it would be 6 or 8, and there were many days that would approach a bakers dozen. To put it in proper context, you should understand that I drink a LOT with my meals. And since Coke was my beverage of choice, I drank a LOT of Coke.
For some reason, on Wednesday 4 weeks ago, I decided to give it up. Just go cold turkey (why do they call it "cold turkey" by the way? I happen to really LIKE cold turkey!) I had a Mountain Dew at lunch that day, and that was it. No more caffeine. I would do water, or milk, or fruit juice, or water aided by Propel powder...but no more Coke. None, zip, nada.
There were several reasons that I went on the wagon. First, I looked in the mirror one morning and realized I was giving Charles Barkley a run for his money in the weight category (he's still far smarter and better looking than me). Secondly, some of my friends were giving up caffeine for 40 days to help raise money for an organization called Blood Water Mission (sponsored by Jars of Clay, and used to build wells in underprivileged communities). And third, my Doc said it might be a good idea to cut down on the caffeine, to help get my heart rate down to a reasonable level. So just like that, I did it.
The CEO of Coke has apparently put my cell on his speed dial, asking what he needs to do to get me back. The Brand Manager for Mountain Dew has called repeatedly, offering discounts and incentives if I will only return to the fold. And the Director of Marketing for SunDrop has informed me that they are going to have to close the fort if I continue with my current foolish course of action.
I must admit I've been tempted several times. Once I was on an artist promo run, and after driving 12 hours during the daylight, I was forced to drive another 5.5 hours before I would reach the hotel. Leaving Jacksonville at 8pm that night, I drove along I-10, salivating every time I would see a lighted truck stop sign. I made up my mind that I wouldn't stop unless I had to get gas, or to make a pit stop. And I worked on my resolve, knowing I'd have to stop at least once before I completed the journey.
Finally, about 4 hours later, the fuel gauge read 1/8 tank. When I finished pumping the gas, I went inside for the necessary pit stop. And before I exited, I found myself staring at the wall of refrigerated coolers, their contents staring at me in multi-colored caffeinated glory. I never before realized how hooked I had become. It was nothing for me to grab two and hit the road, every time I stopped. No wonder I'd have those Baker's Dozen days :-)
On that night, no one was watching me. I could just grab one, hit the road, and no one would know. And it really would be for SAFETY sake, to help keep me awake. Besides, just one couldn't hurt, could it? But as I contemplated, I was afraid if I drank one, I'd be off the wagon for good. It had only been 6 days for me at that point. So I grabbed a couple bottles of water, and hit the road. And safely got to my hotel.
I've gotten my fair share of funny looks from friends & family since then. When out eating with a friend, and I order water with lemon or lime, they just about snap their neck looking at me to see what is wrong. I think several of them believe that I'm really hard up on finances, as they've been quick to pay the check when it came (maybe there are more benefits to this no Coke thing than I realized???). And my mom, who for some reason believes that I hung the moon (I don't have the heart to tell her that I've only SHOT the moon) still isn't quite sure if I'm kidding or not when I tell her I've sworn off Cokes. I guess it really had a hold on me, for folks to be that surprised when I drink something else instead.
Now, all that's left is for me to make it another 12 days (for a total of 40) and then add up what I would have spent on Cokes during that time. I haven't done that yet. I think it's cuz I'm afraid of just how much $$$ that's going to be. I will write a check to the Blood Water Mission for that amount, and hopefully help a town in some underprivileged country obtain good, clean water. That's well worth it. And so far I've lost 17 pounds. Eat your heart out, Round Mound of Rebound! :-) I just may stay on this water-milk-juice kick for longer than 40 days. Who knows? I'll keep you posted. And here's more on the Blood Water Mission, in case you're interested.
http://www.bloodwatermission.com/
Tuesday, March 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks so much for your story! Know that all of us here at Blood:Water Mission are joining you in your journey and we are so thankful for your efforts!
ReplyDelete