One of the groups that I help to promote has been going thru some difficult times as of late. Wrecked vans, stolen equipment, RV fires...they have REALLY been walking a tough road. It has seemed like they just have been hit at every turn. And yet Addison Road has stayed true to their faith, has continued to serve God, and has continued to minister at every opportunity presented to them. What's up with that??? :-)
Well, the most recent hurdle, the RV fire, really hit them hard. En route to a concert in Las Vegas, their RV caught fire and BURNED TO THE FRAME, stranding them in the middle of the desert. Attached to the RV was a travel trailer carrying ALL of their equipment, as well as all of their musical instruments. As if that wasn't enough to lose, they also lost all of their clothes. ALL of them. What they had left was literally the clothes on their back. And fans were expecting them to be in concert... that same night...in mere hours.
Somehow, they continued on, and didn't miss the concert! That in itself is testimony to their commitment. I don't think anyone would have felt cheated if the concert was postponed due to the circumstances. But they didn't take the easy way out. They journeyed on. They lived up to their commitments.
I was very moved when I read about the fire, and really wanted to do something to try to help. I talked with my wife about it, and we agreed that this was a great opportunity for the church to be the church....for all of us to be the hands and feet of Jesus to them. To reach out and help solve the problem, one little piece at a time. We did the little bit that we could afford to do, and then told a few people about the need. Well, apparently there were a LOT of others who were moved in similar ways, because I began to hear about the need being met from a wide variety of sources.
Fellow artists tweeted and blogged about the need. Fans started to spread the word. And one by one, the church functioned as the church. Single moms....anonymous givers....parents with young kids....churches....musical artists....all kinds of people started reaching out, giving & loving on them!
I could try to share the details, but I believe that they will do a far better job of it. Take a few minutes, click on the links below, and read their story. It will inspire you. It's amazing what God can do through the open, willing hearts of His people.
http://addisonroad.com/
http://www.jennysimmons.com/
Tuesday, March 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment