Sunday, March 28, 2010

Fathers, Sons, Friends


We had a father-son getaway this weekend. Chad, Devon and I met in Gatlinburg, and just chilled for a few days. Nothing spectacular, no mountain climbing, no white water canoeing, no zip lining (except for the raincoats). Nope...it was just three men with a deep love and respect for each other, hanging out, sharing stories, and resting.

It was a time of reflection on all of our years together....from sons, to young men, to friends. I learned a little more of their perception of me as a dad. And found a little more grace in their forgetfulness of my many faults.

The first time I laid eyes on Chad, our oldest, I instantly loved him more than any other boy in the whole wide world. And began to understand what it meant to be a dad. When I found out we were going to have a second son, I wondered how in that wide world I could love him as much as the first. One look at that 2nd precious little boy, Devon, and I knew the answer. Yes, I could. And yes, I did.

I had heard parents say how the love is different for each child, but I didn't understand it until I was able to experience it firsthand. The love is no less special, but it is different. The relationships are equally as deep, but they each cover their own native turf.

It's also interesting to note how those relationships change over time, and yet stay the same. A son is always a son, but he can also become a best bud. I'm blessed to have both, and I treasure them dearly.

Once serving as warden to adolescence, I now am a confidant of adulthood. They were once my children, growing before my eyes. Now they are peers, nurturing families of their own.

Nance and I never had a daughter. Now we have two. Adena. Hollie. Both loved as if they were our own, both unique in their relationships and friendships. And then there are the grandkids. :-) Oh my goodness, all that joy rolled up into such a small package? My cup absolutely is filled to the brim, and spilling over.

Thank God for sons & daughters who love Him, and who are doing their best to raise their children in His light. And thank God for sons who love their mom & dad, and want to be around them....and call them friends. That is a joy that I cannot explain.

The 23rd Psalm, as I read it in The Message, says it best; "The Lord is my Shepherd, I have everything I need". Married to my best friend in the world, I'm a 50 yr old dad able to share a weekend with his sons, age 26 & 29. What a priceless gift. And to be treated like a trusted friend by them both? I don't have the words.

I am blessed. Filled. Overflowing. Undeserving. Grateful. Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment