I've been thinking a lot over the past several weeks of exactly what it means to be a husband. I heard someone mention "husbandry" as it relates to gardening, and it started me down a path of thought I had never considered before. Specifically, what kind of sowing have I been doing in the "garden" that God has blessed me with?
My garden is precious to me. God first let me see it when I was in 9th grade. And I immediately fell in love. But I didn't believe that I could qualify for such a wonderful, God-given, gorgeous blessing. So I watched from afar, stealing a glance whenever the opportunity presented itself.
One day, a surge of insane confidence arose, and I began the process of preparation & cultivation. And I began to learn about the types of seeds that were available to buy.
At first, I wasn't always a trustworthy farmer. Oh sure, I had a pocket full of love, devotion, caring & provision. But I also carried seeds of disapproval, judgement, guilt & reproof. I planted these seeds with varying regularity, and could not always be counted on in time of need or want. I was not a consistently faithful gardener. And as a result, my precious garden did not grow as it might have under better care.
As I grew older, I began to realize the error of my ways. And I began to be more careful in the types of seeds that I planted. I determined to begin the day by reassuring my garden of my commitment, devotion and love. I worked to build up the soil, to strengthen, enrich and reaffirm. And I learned that whatever I planted is exactly what would grow.
If I settled for less than perfect seed, then the crop that would grow was undesirable. Condemnation. Unkindness. Hurt. Fear. Whatever I planted, that's what grew.
But if I chose seed that was worthy of my precious garden, I was blessed with a bountiful harvest in return. Love. Reassurance. Commitment. Hope. That harvest was far more blessed, and immensely more enjoyable.
I'm still learning how to be the gardener....the husband...that God wants me to be. I am blessed with a bountiful, precious, beautiful garden. May He continue to teach me, is my prayer.
Wednesday, August 17, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment